The Artful Kitchen

The Artful Kitchen is a blog about art, food, and culture. The premise is that you can make beautiful, tasty, and healthy things at home--domestic works of art! Happy reading!

Thursday, December 1, 2011

A whole lot of failure and sometimes, maybe, a little success

I think the title of this post basically sums up what cooking is for me, but with this addition: that the successes are so rewarding that I'm often willing to overlook the failures. Cooking is about experimentation, at least for me. Sure, I use recipes, but I also tweak them, discard them completely, invent something new, add an ingredient on a whim, completely misread instructions and inadvertently do something that dramatically changes the results...basically, it's a crapshoot, but that's a terrible way to refer to something you're going to put in your mouth, right? I mean, I know what a crapshoot is, but we all know what it sounds like, right?

I decided I'd share with you a few recent kitchen misfires since I'm not exactly your Martha Stewart type and I'm not afraid to say that things went wrong. I don't think any cook should be embarrassed to make a mistake, but then, that's much easier said than done. This is a photo of an apple chicken curry I made using a recipe on allrecipes.com, one of my fave sites. I hold the author of that recipe completely blameless since my first time making the recipe, I decided to incorporate a bunch of suggestions from the comments other people left, and to also add ingredients no one in fact suggested, and, in my final act of madness, decided to use a totally different cooking method. Basically, I made a completely different dish without test-driving the recipe I claimed to be using first. The results were edible, decent even, but a far cry from a true curry. I was disappointed.

Then there was the Sopa de Xim Xim incident. I had bought a cookbook called Hot & Spicy Latin Dishes at a used bookstore for a whopping twenty-five cents. I'm pretty sure it's out of print. Sopa de Xim Xim (Peanut Soup)  sounded awesome and different--it's got beef, onions, bell peppers, peanut butter. I like all of those things when they're together in Thai food, although there we are talking more about peanut sauce than peanut butter. Anyway, I decided to take my chances, except that the soup called for a habanero and I know I can be kind of a wimp about heat. It helpfully suggested that I could substitute three jalapenos, but for a reason I cannot now fathom, I was convinced this was a direct equivalence and would still be too hot. I made a big pot of the soup as directed, but with only 2 jalapenos. I tasted a small spoonful and it seemed ok, so I served it up for dinner, dug in, and tasted what was basically meat and veggies floating in liquidy peanut butter. Determined to fix it, I added some garlic and another jalapeno to try and give it some spice. That helped, but the damage had been done and I never could get past the idea that I was basically eating meat cooked in peanut butter. It turned my stomach, and my poor husband just couldn't win. If he didn't want to eat it, I was bummed. When he took an enthusiastic mouthful, I turned on him and shouted "I can't believe you're eating this!" Did I mention that cooking can kind of play with your emotions, especially when you've worked hard on something that no one--not even you--will eat? There's no photo of this one because it went down the drain, and I went to Taco Bell. That's right, the fruits of over 2 hours of labor were chalupas containing something that is definitely not actual meat.

So what is my point in telling you this? Well, it's because it's weirdly cathartic to share these little mishaps because it allows me to see that that's all they are--little mishaps. I didn't burn down my apartment, or get jalapenos in my eye (again, that is), or give anyone a food-borne illness. I just screwed up, and it happens to everyone, all the time. Actually, in the second instance, I didn't really screw up, I just took a chance that didn't pay off, and everyone does that all the time, too. Well, not everyone, but it's part of leading an exciting life where you actually try new things. So in the end, this post isn't really for you, dear reader, but for me. I accept my kitchen mishaps for what they are, and I vow to soldier on. Next adventure, please!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

I've started applying to cooking an old painting axiom. If you've got the wrong color from your mixing, don't add more paint just start over. When you add more paint to a mix that is already the wrong color you almost always end up with just more of an awful color. The same thing works with new recipes. If it doesn't taste right, just start over : ) LOL.

December 3, 2011 at 5:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know this is bringing back the dead as far as posts, but I'd sya you should definitely give the sopa de xim xim another shot - instead of bullion i usually use consomme and often throw in a bit of beer - also if you like hots, dont be shy with the peppers - the author kinda scales it down i think for the general audience. Also, a mix of pork and beef is excellent - just beware, as the pork can get tough - ground pork is a nice addition for this reason. Also super chunky peanut butter is the best as it gives a lot of texture.

Now i really need to find my copy of that book, or get another.. If you have it handy i'd sure appreciate a copy of the original recipe - havent seen it in years, i always just use the bastardized version in my head haha

May 2, 2014 at 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home